Accessible Page Links


Page Tools

Main page Content

History

During the 1950’s the residents of the area north of the railway line pressed the Government hard for the building of a school to serve that area. Several sites were considered and finally the present school site was selected as being the most suitable.
 
The school was opened by Mr Col Hogg (Acting Head Teacher) early in 1958 and the official opening was held on 28 June, 1958, with the dignitaries present for the occasion including Ivor Marsden, M.L.A., for Ipswich; A Guymer, Director of Primary Education and J. Finimore, Mayor of Ipswich.
 
Members of the first P&C Association at that time were: Mr. Sydney Crawford (Chairman), Mr. Joseph Edward Hall, Wilfred Richards and Kenneth Anderson.
 
Enrolments in 1958 amounted to 235 children, with 166 attending on the first day. They were accommodated in the original wing, Block A, plus offices on the Eastern Wing. The present Reading Room under the Principal’s Office was the original Library. Many of the first enrolments were originally pupils at Silkstone, Central Girls’ and Infants’ and Central Boys’ schools.
 
Early in 1969, as a result of a public meeting in the Model Band Hall in Basin Pocket, the Parents’ and Citizens’ Committee decided to go ahead with a proposal to build a school swimming pool. It was a most ambitious project and when it was commenced, there were many who doubted the ability to raise the required amount in an area which was populated by a predominance of working people. The hard work of the Committee was rewarded when the pool was opened on 30 September, 1972, by Mr. Bill Hamilton, Director of Primary Education.
 
Another important event in the history of our school was the construction of our school library. Following representations by Dr. Llew Edwards, M.L.A., Treasurer and Member for Ipswich West, on behalf of Mr. George Clark, Principal, the Library was officially opened on 20 June, 1981.
 
In 2008, Ipswich East State School celebrated our 50th anniversary.
 
In 2012, Ipswich East opened its new hall and resource centre.